Thursday 3 September 2015

What I've Been Reading (II) | August 2015



Another few books that I have had the pleasure of reading this month, as we welcome in September! Two were from the library and one was a loan from another blogger, for whom I did a guest review. See below for details.



French Milk by Lucy Knisley

I have been lusting after another of Knisley's books on Amazon - 'Displacement' - so I was pleased to find this one in the library for me to have a taster. French Milk is a graphic memoir which follows the author and her mother on a month long trip to Paris for significant birthdays. What follows is a commentary on the French city, particularly focussed on the art and the food (clearly both beloved topics of the author). Being a fan of Guy Delisle's travelogues, I expected to enjoy Knisley's work in a similar manner, and I did. It was not as polished as Delisle, and perhaps that detracted a little from my enjoyment; however, the style of drawing and writing was pleasing and I hope to look for others of hers in the future. 


The White Princess by Philippa Gregory

This novel was also from the library and I picked it up as I am a sucker for historical fiction and have read all the previous books in this series, called The Cousins War, which is set during the English Wars of the Roses and follows significant royal and aristocratic women of the period. The White Princess focusses on Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV and wife of Henry VII. The story takes place after the Battle of Bosworth and the defeat of Richard III, when Henry VII becomes king and claims Elizabeth as his bride, to 'unite' the Lancaster and York factions of the country. As ever, Gregory is able to weave a consistent narrative around actual events whilst holding to her own interpretation of character's motives. This series (which begins with The White Queen) remains an enjoyable read, for those who know the period and those who need an introduction - especially those who appreciate a female perspective on an essential male dominated world.


Abraham Lincoln: Pocket Giants by Adam I P Smith

I was kindly asked by HistoryASM to review this book and I provided a guest review which can be read here. An excellent introduction and overview of Abraham Lincoln's life, this book was short, informative and well written. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh - Adam Smith was my tutor who I loved, do you remember?!

    ReplyDelete